Sunday, January 1, 2012

For better...not for worse!

I’ve had an itch to write a blog (and have done so on and off for the past 4 years) that really means something to me. Deep down. In my core being. Partly due to an illness I struggled through last Autumn, and partly due to my delight in all things yummy AND healthy, I have also wanted to choose to live more intentionally with my health and all other daily things. However, I met a huge hurdle. Me. Being the perfectionist I am, I always fall off whatever “band wagon” I hop onto and it is, quite honestly, exhausting. So I knew, that whatever journey I decided to embark on, it would have to be one of gentle goals (actually achievable!) and goals that led to progress on my journey…not necessarily a destination. This is where the “212 in 2012” was born….and I’d like to invite any person reading this to join me!

Goal: 212 days where you live your best, give your best and rest your best in the year 2012.
**strong note: you have permission to fail 153 days! :D

Some may balk at such a large margin for failure, but trust me, I am exhilarated!! My perfectionism says, “Why I could do that!!” which is EXACLTY what I need. Positive feed from me. I know I have many reasons I should take care of myself and better myself, but sadly, I let those beautiful things get tossed aside once I feel like I “blew it”. So here’s to “212 in 2012” for each of us…and maybe I’ll complete it by my birthday in November so I can add a few more days in there before January 1, 2013!

So what does a “good day” entail? This could be different for anyone. I have a huge “issue” with food. I love it. I indulge in it like it is more than mere fuel for my body, which is NOT good. I know for others food may not be anything to worry about, or “better themselves” about, so pick your items as you wish. Perhaps you want to read a certain number of books, or perhaps actually get your butt in gear and read the Bible from cover to cover? Maybe you want to work out for 30 minutes a day, or eat “only organic” as much as possible. Maybe you want to try new recipes, make your own lotions, drink less alcohol or pray more….write it down, because it’s not about “New Year’s Resolutions Gone Awry”, it’s about a precious person, YOU, who is striving to become the best person they can!

Robyn’s “good day list” (you’ll see why the huge margin of error after this, lol!):

Physical activity for 30+ minutes

No sugar or dairy (EXCEPT organic, plain yogurt) or wheat in my diet

No white, processed grains in my diet (white rice included)

5-7 servings of vegetables and fruit (preferably fresh organic, but organic frozen will count too)

Lights out by 10 PM or earlier (talking about brutal…this may be the one section I struggle with the most….I am a definitely “night owl”)

Up before 8 AM.

No alcohol.

I am giving myself 2 weeks to change or adjust this list, as I may come up with some other things that I want to add, or change some of the above slightly to make it possible. It still comes across as VERY daunting to me, so I’d love to have some others join me on this journey. Let me know what you’ve chosen to be a “good day” for you….perhaps I shall steal some of your ideas!!

Until I blog again (hopefully my first good day is tomorrow…today is a bust as “New Year’s Day Dinner” shall attack me from all sides in about 2 hours…).

Robyn

PS: check out this lovely poem by William Arthur Ward (American dedicated scholar, author, editor, pastor and teacher)

“Another fresh new year is here . . .
Another year to live!
To banish worry, doubt, and fear,
To love and laugh and give!

This bright new year is given me
To live each day with zest . . .
To daily grow and try to be
My highest and my best!

I have the opportunity
Once more to right some wrongs,
To pray for peace, to plant a tree,
And sing more joyful songs!”

Go have a GOOD day!

No comments:

Post a Comment